Frenziedly shot from Bangkok to Northern Thailand and Laos, Bangkok Nites is a gonzo meandering epic of many faces. Luck is a popular escort in Bangkok, who encounters Ozawa (director Katsuya Tomita), an old client she is in love with. An outsider in his own right, Ozawa lives on the fringes on a meagre budget. They set off on a road trip to Luck’s hometown of Northern Thailand, where Ozama experiences the spectral presence of the country's past.
Bangkok Nites is a unique co-production that portrays with breezy authenticity the dealings of its motley crew of characters: the enclave of Japanese immigrants and expats, and the working ladies of Thaniya Road who serve them. It playfully depicts stereotypes of slumming Yakuza rejects and travellers who have overstayed their welcome, revelling its intimate observations of life in the tropics.
- Katsuya Tomita, born 1972 in Kofu, Japan, worked as a construction worker and truck driver after high school to accumulate funds for his first film Above the Clouds (2003). He continued to direct Off Highway 20 (2007) and Saudade (2011) which screened at the Locarno Film Festival and many other festivals. Bangkok Nites is his fourth feature.
- Atsuko Ohno, Ryohei Tsutsui, Philippe Avril Apicha Saranchol, Douangmany Soliphanh, Mattie Do
- Toranosuke Aizawa, Katsuya Tomita
- Subenja Pongkorn, Sunun Phuwiset, Chutlpha Promplang, Tanyarat Kongphu, Sarinya Yongsawat
- Flying Pillow Films (Atsuko Ohno) - firstname.lastname@example.org