A tranquil family dinner is broken when widowed doctor Victor is confronted by his adult children about his role in denouncing abortions in 1989. He startlingly reveals that the twins, Romeo and Sasha, would never have been born had he not opposed their mother’s abortion plans. But his convictions are thrown into further relief when Sasha announces her pregnancy soon afterwards.
Illegitimate is a gripping and powerful film that sneaks under your skin before throwing open a can of worms. Where director Adrian Sitaru diverges from his Romanian New Wave contemporaries is a fearless undertaking that goes beyond observational camerawork - a constant searching and investigation both within the frame and dialogue. Tackling taboo topics with a compassionate sensibility on human relationships, this unscripted drama had its world premiere at the 2016 Berlin International Film Festival.
- Adrian Sitaru is a Romanian director, producer and actor. One of his earlier short films, Waves (2007) won the Golden Leopard at the Locarno Film Festival. Another short, The Cage (2009), won the DAAD Short Film Award at the 60th Berlin Film Festival. Illegitimate, his fourth feature, has received numerous awards including the C.I.C.A.E. Award at the 2016 Berlinale.
- Anamaria Antoci, Stanisław Dziedzic, Klaudia Śmieja, Yohann Cornu
- ￼Alina Grigore, Adrian Sitaru
- Adrian Titieni, Bogdan Albulescu, Alina Grigore, Robi Urs
- Versatile / Alexandre Moreau - firstname.lastname@example.org